The Wellesey Recreation Ground was opened on 6 August 1888, with the first event, cycle races on a cinder track, watched by a crowd of around 3,000. Cricket pitches and a tennis court were also created in the ground, with the first football match at the ground thought to have been on 11 April 1890 when a County Captain’s team played a Yarmouth XI. After fundraising started in 1891, a new grandstand was erected the following year and opened on 11 June 1892 for a joint athletics and cycling meeting watched by around 4,200 spectators.The stand was given Grade II listed building status in 2002.
Great Yarmouth Town initially played at the Beaconsfield Recreation Ground before moving to the Wellesey Recreation Ground at the start of the 1901–02 season.Concrete terracing and cover was installed on the western side of the pitch in 1931.The record attendance of 8,944 was set on 21 November 1953 for an FA Cup first round match against Crystal Palace. Floodlights were installed in 1983 and inaugurated in a friendly match against Ipswich Town on 7 October.
The Grandstand is thought to be the oldest Football grandstand in the UK and is proudly sponsored by the Hippodrome Circus.
Smudgers Bar Clubhouse
Smudgers Bar was built in 1980appx and was a joint effort by players and committee alike in their spare time. The bar was a committee run venture and is licenced as a private members club. As well as for football use it is regularly used by several local community organisations.
As a private members club you need to be a member to Hire the facility, but becoming a member is simple and cheap – for any enquiries please contact the club secretary.
The Tea Hut
The Tea Hut was originally housed in the main stand but moved to its own building in the 1980s. Sells Hot and cold drinks on matchdays as well as hot pasties and cold snacks. You are always sure to receive a warm and friendly welcome from all the volunteers that are involved in manning the Tea Hut.