A makeshift Bloaters team came into this match after a mauling by Mulbarton at the weekend, who dumped them out of the FA Vase. With more injury concerns Bloaters’ Manager McCombe decided to bring in two new loan signings in full-back Adam Probert and Striker Alex Earl from Norwich United. Probert was handed a start and Earl took his place on the bench with the returning Mitch Forbes, after a successful comeback match in the reserves on Saturday. There was also a welcome return to the side for Josh Ford who returned to the centre of the defence, with Wenn occupying a spot in midfield with Belsten and McAvoy. Adams came in at left back and Atkins was advanced further forwards on the right side. With strikers  Attree and Smith not available due to suspension and injury respectively, striker Goodwin-Wright was tasked with playing up front on his own.

After torrential rain all day, the Wellesley pitch seemed to have stood up well and the home side kicked off playing towards the Clubhouse end. McAvoy whipped in a couple of telling crosses as the Bloaters gained the early ascendency. McAvoy and Goodwin-Wright exchanged passes and the former fired home but celebrations were cut short as the goal was chalked off for offside. The home side didn’t have to wait much longer to open their account, as in the eighth minute from a Josh Ford throw-in, Fionn Goodwin-Wright picked up a flicked header and with his back to goal, hooked the ball over his shoulder and into the net to give the Bloaters the lead. The visitors responded with a swift break ending with ex-Bloater, Hagan firing wide of the target. Jordi Forbes then sprinted out of defence and found Wing in space but the visitors managed to crowd out the young winger and the chance was gone. Another glorious pass into the path of Belsten, put the youngster through on goal and his powerful shot was well-saved by Rix, as the home side continued to advance. McAvoy then fired in a shot on the spin that was again saved by Rix and a big claim for a penalty was waved away by referee Richard Pace. The home side were stringing passes together through the midfield but Goodwin-Wright was generally well marshalled by the Diss defence. Despite a good first half performance the home side could not add to their tally and the half came to a conclusion with no change to the score.

HT Great Yarmouth 1 Diss Town 0

An injury to lone striker Goodwin-Wright forced  the Bloaters  into a half-time substitution as loan striker Alex Earl replaced the Bloaters’ goalscorer. The tone for the half was set three minutes in, as the Bloaters gave the ball away needlessly, and two passes later the ball was crossed into the middle and new signing Bemrose fired in the equaliser from close range to put the Tangerines level . The visitors were clearly lifted by the goal after a dismal first half. The lively Mullen fired in a shot that Putnins saved, and in the fourteenth minute of the second half Bemrose outpaced the home defence and shot past Putnins for a well-taken second goal for Diss. The stunned Bloaters who had been on top for a majority of the game now seemed toothless and rattled by comparison. The Tangerines were now in the ascendency as Mullen tried his luck a couple of times as did former Bloater Cawcutt, but Putnins remained firm. With twenty minutes to go Mitch Forbes came on to replace Atkins as the home side needed a goal and a way back into the match, with Diss clearly on top.

A goal did come, but it went the wrong way for the home side as Putnins uncharacteristically bowled the ball out towards substitute Philpott but Hagan nipped in and squared the ball and Bemrose was in the perfect position to make it 3- 1 to Diss. Worse was to come for the Bloaters custodian as he was adjudged to have fouled Bemrose when it looked the other way around, and as the offence was in the penalty area, Referee Pace awarded a penalty to Diss. The big Latvian then made up for his previous error and saved the spot-kick to give the home side hope of a revival which seemed remote after a poor second half showing. With the clock running down and the visitors managing the game out to a conclusion, Earl headed over from a corner and Forbes got around the Diss defence to fire in a cross but the Diss defence were able to scramble the ball clear. With the game almost up, a brilliant cross by Wing was powerfully headed home by Forbes to make it 2-3 but it was too little, too late and the Tangerines claimed the points in front of a large Wellesley crowd.

Disappointed Manager Rob McCombe concluded “ Really pleased with the first half response from Saturday, but we allowed ourselves to be dominated in the second half, so it’s a big three points dropped tonight. Too many were hiding when we were up against it, once again we had to make enforced changes due to injuries within the game and whilst it affected our flow, it should not affect our mentality in the way that it did.”

The Bloaters will need to put things right this week when they travel to bottom club Wisbech St. Mary

FT Great Yarmouth 2 Diss Town 3


Gt Yarmouth : Putnins ©  Probert Adams Wenn Ford JForbes Wing  Belsten Goodwin-Wright McAvoy Atkins Subs : Philpott Earl MForbes KMcCombe  Pinheiro