After a run of 5 consecutive away games our reserves finally got to play their first competitive home match of the new season. The opposition were Poringland Wanderers who this season have a tie up with Dereham Town FC, and many of Dereham’s under 18 players have dual registration with Poringland. What makes this even more intriguing is that Yarmouth’s under 18’s are actually playing Dereham Town in the FA Youth cup on Tuesday evening. 

It has been a mixed start to the new campaign for the ressies and they set out to put things right after a poor result last week in the cup at South Walsham. Pre-match, reserves joint      manager Dan Nolan told me “Owing to several of our squad being called up to the first team along with other players being unavailable, we are nowhere near full strength, however it is a great chance for other players to make a claim for a regular place in the side”  The game started very slowly and for the first 40 minutes neither goal keeper was    really tested as most of the play was concentrated in the middle of the park where both sides cancelled each other out.

There were a couple of long range efforts at goal which went well wide, however in the 42 minute the game came alive when a great effort from 20 yard’s out from Yarmouth’s Capello was tipped over the bar by the visitors keeper.  Then just before the half time break                 Wanderers got a free kick out on the right, and as the ball is whipped in it misses everyone and sinks into the bottom left corner of the net to put the away side 1 up.    

The Yarmouth management brought on Stefan Carinhas for the 2nd half to try give them more of a cutting edge up front and he immediately looked busy and the team looked much better balanced and in the 50th minute Stefan converted with a great strike from 20 yards out to put his side back in the game. The Bloaters looked a different proposition now and 2 minutes later almost scored again when a great effort from Melo was turned around the post by the keeper for a corner and from this corner another great chance went just wide

Porlingland responded on 70 minutes with a great opportunity to re-take the lead, however their striker shot straight at Yarmouth keeper Clements from very close range when he should really have scored.  The deciding moment in this match came in the 80th minute when following a free kick a Wanderers player went down in the box and the ref pointed to the spot. However the penalty was not converted and the miss seemed to knock the confidence from the visitors and after a decent 10 minute spell they found themselves under pressure as Yarmouth went searching for a late winner.   

After several near misses which includes one effort hitting the upright from a 25 yards lob at goal, Ethan Hodge finally grabbed the winner from close range in injury time to send his team mates into raptures and a mass pile by the corner flag.

Full time: Great Yarmouth Town Reserves 2 Poringland Wanderers 1.

After the game joint manager Paul Blisset said: “Great to be back at home today and Nugget (Dan Nolan) and me felt the lads really worked hard for each other and for once got the rewards they deserved against an excellent Porlingland team who will be right up there this season”  

Great Yarmouth Town Reserves. Clements, Scott, Mawby, Melo, Moyse, Bayfield, Meakins, Hodge, Sayer, Capello, Lopes. Subs: Orme, Perry, Carinhas.

Man of the match: Stefan Carinhas.


Text Box: The Ne.