Great Yarmouth Town Reserves V Costessey Sports.
Saturday 19th March 2022.   Report by Martin Baxter. 

On a bright and sunny early spring Saturday afternoon 8th placed Yarmouth reserves entertained 7th placed Costessey Sports at the Wellie for a mid table battle.

Yarmouth made 2 changes from the side beaten last week against high flying Long Stratton, with Alex Riches replacing Ievan Clements in goal and Ethan Hodge replacing the suspended Gomez-Lopez. 

This game started in a very slow fashion with neither side creating anything of note in the first 20 minutes and it was not until the 25th minute when Duffield failed to slot home from close range following a corner that the first real opportunity occurred.  

However, barley 10 minutes later Duffield had to come off owing to what looked like a serious leg injury and he was replaced by Trevor Scott.
This change seemed to really affect Yarmouth and they lost their sharpness in front of goal and the first half played out into a very disappointing stalemate.   

Half-time. Great Yarmouth Town Reserves 0  Costessey Sports 0.

The 2nd half started with Yarmouth bringing on Chris Abbott to try and freshen things up and in the first minute of the 2nd period Alfie Miller went through on goal but put his effort wide without troubling the visitors keeper and 5 minutes later a superb free kick from Harry Jonas rattled the Costessey crossbar before going out for a goal kick.  
Barley a minute later Miller was through once again on goal but yet again put his effort wide of the post. 

On the hour mark the visitors had their first real clear cut chance of the match, however their striker sent his long range effort sailing over the bar.  
10 minutes later Jonas shot into the side netting from close range and once again the Costessey keeper was not required to make a save.

Yarmouth although having the lions share of the possession were only able to create a couple of further half chances and twice in the final 10 minutes the visitors almost managed a classic smash and grab raid with 2 opportunities of their own, firstly when a deflected clearance fell to their number 9 who put his effort just wide and then in the 85th minute when Yarmouth’s keeper Alex Riches made his first real save of the match from point blank range to deny the visitors number 9 once again.

The game ended in a 0-0 draw and this was the last of 6 consecutive home matches for the reserves, where they managed 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats and took only 8 points from a possible 18 on offer.    

Full Time:  Great Yarmouth Town Reserves 0  Costessey Sports 0.

After the match Yarmouth reserves joint manager Paul Blissett spoke firstly about Louis Duffield and then the match itself

” His injury is not as bad as we first feared, however it is highly likely Louis will be out for the rest of the season.  The lads put in a shift today and we cannot fault any of them and it was superb to see a couple of our 16 year old’s taking their opportunity at this level. On another day we could have scored 4 or 5 goals and it was important we kept a clean sheet and we will now move on to our next match against league leaders Beccles Town Reserves” 

Yarmouth Reserves line up: Riches, Perry, Mawby, Moyse, Sayer, Hughes, Hodge, Jonas, Miller, Duffield, Meakins.  Subs: Biglin, Scott, Abbott.

Man of the match: Alfie Miller.